So, Rachel Vanoven. Have you heard of her? She specializes in newborn and family portraits, and happens to be ridiculously talented. I have been following her on Facebook and Instagram for several years, and was so excited to purchase her Family eWorkshop last year. If you are considering an investment into your photography business, I would gently (seriously) suggest (insist) that you check her out! You won’t be disappointed.
Here’s what I love about it:
1. It’s easy to follow. There are several videos for you to watch, which take you through Rachel’s process for a family session. She narrates the action that you see in the video, so you get both the visual image and verbal explanation for everything that’s going on. There is also a pdf file packed with great information, and visual examples. Great for all types of learners!
2. Rachel’s teaching style is casual but effective. She writes and talks in a way that is easy to understand, but you walk away with your brain overflowing with all kinds of new knowledge and tricks that you will be dying to try out! She breaks everything down into simple steps and answers questions you didn’t even know you had!
3. Details, details, details. She covers everything. Poses, lighting, camera settings, client prep, session flow, client interaction, culling, post-processing, etc. She is so generous with information, you won’t be disappointed.
4. The super secret, super awesome Facebook group. You get to join a special group on FB filled with fellow eWorkshop members, who post photos for critique, ask/answer questions, and generally support one another. And of course Rachel pops in there, too, to continue to share her awesomeness and knowledge!
5. Her tricks! She shares so many amazing ideas to get kids of all ages (and grumpy dads!) to engage and cooperate during your session. Seriously, she breaks it down by age group and gives you specific examples of how to get a smile out of just about any kid you might encounter. A-ma-zing. This alone has saved my butt so many times.
If you photograph families, I promise you will love this eWorkshop. Whether you are just starting out or have been at it for quite some time, I think there is something for everyone in this package. Even if you are a mom who is just learning to use her DSLR to photograph her own family, Rachel provides a ton of well-written information that a beginner could easily follow and use to improve her photography skills.
Most importantly, after purchasing the eWorkshop, I felt so much more confident behind the lens. And that confidence will always lead to more relaxed sessions with clients who are at ease, all of which will be so evident in your finished photos.